22 Responses

1. Andy ..... again
    Andy ..... again 24 February, 2013 at 3:24 pm |

Hi Matt – eloquent point!

I too feel I am missing out on the ‘community’ aspect by having a self-hosted blog. So much so that I am thinking of moving to Tumblr. There is no direct way of doing this so you have to change to Blogger and then import to tumblr.

However, I digress. What are your thoughts on Tumblr blogs replacing WordPress.org sites?

I am all ears.

2. Andy ..... again
    Andy ..... again 24 February, 2013 at 5:44 pm |

Hi Matt – have you changed the comments box? I am now able to subscribe etc and seem to be able to do a heap lot more to follow you than previously. What plugin is it?

3. evil
    evil 25 February, 2013 at 1:33 pm |

have you thought about :-

id be carfull matt, your disk usage and bandwidth is possibly higher than wp hosting might allow……

4. Matt | DragonDrop.org
    Matt | DragonDrop.org 16 March, 2013 at 7:39 am |

Just found a plugin called Gravitar Like that allows you to add the wp like func. 1/3 ain’t bad.

5. Standing on the shoulders of giants
    Standing on the shoulders of giants 16 March, 2013 at 10:29 pm |

[…] of course, they could like the page before, but not like it in a social networky kind of way.  One step closer to being part of the wordpress social network, […]

6. Claudia Cane
    Claudia Cane 21 April, 2013 at 7:49 pm |

Searching for the answer so long my eyes are burning and trying to come up with a good reason not to switch over to the .com

7. Crystal
    Crystal 2 September, 2013 at 7:57 am |

I hear ‘ya! I couldn’t figure out why my reblog wouldn’t work. Now I know. We need some self- hosted inclusion!!

8. robertmerrill
    robertmerrill 21 October, 2013 at 5:07 pm |

Looking for reblog support, too!

9. LuciferBernanke
    LuciferBernanke 8 January, 2014 at 12:57 am |

Anyone ever find a good answer for this? I’ve figured out how to get WordPress Like but not WordPress Comments or WordPress Reblog (most important) — 🙁

10. Si Ayah
    Si Ayah 25 March, 2014 at 2:12 am |

I’m still looking for the solution 🙁

11. nzcid
    nzcid 4 April, 2014 at 2:54 am |

Me too – anyone..

12. dannywallispt
    dannywallispt 22 October, 2014 at 11:17 am |

I feel your pain! I have just launched a new blog site on .org self hosted after moving away from .com and am slowly realising how alone it feels on the other side of the fence!

13. Mani @eatweetsleep
    Mani @eatweetsleep 11 November, 2014 at 1:39 am |

Yessss!!! as soon I started my new self hosted blog my comments are few and far between. Very frustrating. There is a plugin I am going to test called repost that apparently allows this function. Il;l come back and let you know how it went.

14. Dave
    Dave 24 November, 2014 at 8:29 pm |

Same problem, same desire for a solution. I have several friends on the wp.com side of things that have asked about re blogging some of my content. The lack of a solutions is truly frustrating.

15. Kevin Phillips
    Kevin Phillips 6 February, 2015 at 4:41 pm |

Wow, years after this post, & I’m still looking for a solution to this problem. One thing Matt is definitely right about. Don’t think you’ll find support from the forums. Those moderators are brutal! Sad, I was finding so much success from my ,com site that people pressured me to get a .org saying it will make me more professional. Well, it also makes me more nonexistent! I miss my community!

16. livingincyn
    livingincyn 19 February, 2016 at 7:09 am |

So here we are in 2016 and it appears there still isn’t a solution to this problem. Someone mentioned elsewhere that there’s a plugin called RepostUs. Has anyone tried this plugin before?

17. tinkererofwords
    tinkererofwords 12 July, 2016 at 2:45 pm |

I understand the struggle! Just got my self-hosted blog a few days ago and I know the feeling of loneliness especially if you’re an newbie blogger trying to find some footing 🙁

18. Angela M
    Angela M 18 November, 2016 at 1:03 pm |

Mani @eatweetsleep: how did it go?

Still seeking a solution to this problem.

19. Which is better for WordPress -Hosted or self-hosted? | Random Notes from the Trail

[…] I stumbled across this article from 2013 which […]

20. Which is better for WordPress -Hosted or self-hosted? – Notes from the Trail

[…] I stumbled across this article from 2013 which […]